ASLE is the country's premier membership organization in the field of literature and environment. ASLE encourages and sponsors lectures, discussions, and panels at scholarly conferences, and publishes ASLE News (our online member newsletter) and the journal ISLE: Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and Environment, both four times a year. In odd years the organization conducts a biennial conference that draws participants and speakers from around the globe. We offer financial assistance and sponsorship of several smaller symposia in non-conference years. ASLE has an active membership composed of educators, students, scientists and independent scholars. We currently have approximately 1300 members, including international members from 30 countries.
Find Out More About ASLE
The mission of the Association for the Study of Literature and Environment (ASLE), is to promote the understanding of nature and culture for a sustainable world by fostering a community of scholars, teachers, and writers who study the relationships among literature, culture, and the physical environment.
ASLE seeks to support the above mission by:
• supporting academic research, teaching, and creative work in environmental literature, arts, and humanities;
• fostering an active and energetic community through conferences, networks, publications, and other forums;
• reaching across national, disciplinary, and cultural boundaries to enhance diversity and inclusiveness; and
• maintaining and advocating ecologically sustainable practices.
To read the full ASLE Strategic Plan, approved by the officers and Executive Council in June 2009, click here.
For information on ASLE, or specific questions or inquiries, please contact:
Amy McIntyre, Managing Director
P.O. Box 502
Keene, NH 03431
Phone & Fax: 603-357-7411
WHAT WE OFFER
Let ASLE be your "professional home." Membership benefits include:
- 4 issues/year of ISLE Journal
- 4 issues/year of ASLE News
- Access to Membership Directory
- Conference Opportunites
- Professional Opportunities