ASLE and its members have created several forums to promote a daily or weekly exchange of ideas and information on topics and issues in the field of literature and environment. Also join us on Facebook and Twitter!
When participating in any of the discussion lists below, keep in mind the following general guidelines. Please try to abide by these guidelines in your postings and responses. The list moderator reserves the right to remove anyone from the list for violation of them.
• State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line.
• Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply: delete header information and put your response before the original posting.
• Please include a signature tag, with name, affiliation, location, and e-mail address, on all messages.
• Do not "flame," challenge or attack others. Flaming includes the making of derogatory comments, ridicule, excessive sarcasm and innuendo.
• All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials or language are strictly prohibited. Information and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
• Refrain from posting copyrighted materials to the list.
• Do not post commercial messages advertising goods and services. Book publication announcements are acceptable, but please do not include extensive blurbs/endorsements, book reviews, or purchasing information--a quick description and link to publisher website should suffice.
• Do not distribute any SPAM, solicitation, jokes, chain letters, petitions for signatures or letters relating to pyramid schemes, missing persons or once-in-a-lifetime deals.
• Do not send administrative messages, such as "remove me from the list", through the listserv. To unsubscribe from the list, go to http://interversity.org/lists/asle/subscribe.html and click "unsubscribe"
• Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals--not to the entire list.
• When using an Auto Reply message for times you are out of the office, please be sure to "Create a Rule" (this is easily done with Microsoft Outlook’s Out of Office Assistant) that would prohibit sending the message to the list.
A listserv for general discussion of a wide variety of topics related to literature and environment. For additional information, contact moderator Jeri Pollock (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Eric Crump (email@example.com); subscribe by clicking on the heading above.
Caucus for Diversity Discussion Group
Posted February, 2014: Our former diversity email listserv is no longer available. It is time to switch to a new discussion list for the ASLE Diversity Caucus. We have started a google group — asle-diversity-caucus (at) googlegroups.com. To join, contact Diversity Officer Sarah D Wald.
Graduate Student Discussion List
This list was created in 2011 by the Graduate Student Liaisons and Graduate Student Working Group to provide a place for exchange and discussion of all topics of interest and relevance to graduate students in the field of literature and environment. For additional information contact moderator Jill Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Eric Crump (email@example.com); subscibe by clicking on the heading above.
ASLE-SFRA Discussion List
THis list was just created at the beginning of 2012, as a joint venture to enrich the affiliation between ASLE and the Science Fiction Research Association. As the ecocritical study of science fiction continues to grow, we hope that this listserv will be a place to share ideas, to announce conferences and CFPs, to discuss courses and texts-in general, to engage in collegial conversation about the intersections between science fiction and environmental thought, and why these intersections matter. Please follow the instructions below to subscribe to the ASLE-SFRA Listserv:
1). Click on link above or http://list.fgcu.edu/cgi-bin/majordomo?module=browse.
2). Enter your email address in the appropriate box, then click "All" under "Browse Which Lists?" Click "Go."
3). On the next screen, click "AsleSfra" under "List Name."
4). On the next screen, click "Apply."
5). Check your email to confirm subscription.
The list address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
The ASLE community now has a new cyber meeting place to share news about research, events, pedagogy, and more regarding diversity and environment issues. Designed and maintained by current Diversity Officer Priscilla Ybarra, the site will host ongoing discussions and announcements. The next elected Diversity Officers will continue to maintain the site. Please see the newly updated site at http://www.aslediversity.org/ to join the conversation on diversity issues.
Would you like to propose a discussion topic or share information about an event or research? Would you like to announce a new book or ask a pedagogy question? Please email any information you would like to share to Salma Monani at: email@example.com
Graduate Student Blog
For graduate students and those interested in graduate education in the field of literature and environment--a space to share ideas, foster discussion, and build community. Also visit the new ASLE Graduate Sudent Facebook page.
On Staying Alive
Reflections on the difficult work of sustaining an emotionally, ethically, and spiritually healthy life in academia—no matter what happens. This blog on the profession is run and maintained by John Tallmadge and Mark Long.