Some of this information is still tentative, and we will update more definitive pricing and dates in the very near future.
The conference registration fee has not yet been set, but should be in the range of our 2017 pricing:
$160 (early bird rate) if received by date TBA, and $185 if received after that date.
Reduced fees of $80 early bird/$105 regular are available for students, independents, and others in financial need.
Presenters must register for the conference and pay membership fees by May 15 or their name will be removed from the program.
The basic fee includes all conference sessions, program materials, receptions, and cultural crawl. Participants may also wish to register for optional workshops, residence hall lodging, parking, field trips, banquet, conference t-shirts and donations.
You may register online, or by mail or fax with a PDF form.
ASLE Conference Travel Awards
Funding Amount: Ten awards of $500 each will be given.
Deadline to Apply: March 10, 2019
Purpose: The purpose of the travel award is to substantively support members who are in precarious employment or students, who lack institutional funding, and who can reasonably demonstrate that an award will make attending the conference possible. Relatedly, another purpose is to support members whose presence contributes to ASLE’s mission of “promoting equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility on behalf of the membership.”
Eligibility: Eligibility requires that an applicant:
• is a member of ASLE (or an international ASLE affiliate, for example ASLE-Korea, see full list here)
• has not previously received an ASLE Conference Travel Award
• has an official role to play at the conference (in order of priority: presenting an accepted paper or reading, attending a pre-conference workshop, chairing a panel)
• demonstrates financial need
• preference will be given to applicants of international, student, independent, or contingent/adjunct status.
To Apply: To apply, please go to Submittable. The following items will be required:
• Your current status and professional affiliation, the type and title of your presentation, panel or seminar, and contact information
• A brief statement that includes an explanation of your role(s) in the conference program, and whether your paper/panel has been accepted.
• An explanation (250 words maximum) of how your attendance contributes to ASLE’s Strategic Plan, specifically goals 2-5, which explicitly seek to support economic and demographic inclusivity, students, and international members.
• A detailed estimate of the budgeted cost for you of attending the conference, and any other anticipated funding that you expect to receive from other sources.
Applicants will be notified of decisions on the awards by the end of the day on March 31, 2019.
Help Support this Award!
ASLE members who can help us build this fund are encouraged to do so, either by donating during conference registration or at the ASLE website or sending a check made out to ASLE to the address below.
Amy McIntyre, Managing Director
P.O. Box 502
Keene, NH 03431
The Association for the Study of Literature and Environment will present its biennial book awards at its 2019 conference. Two awards are given, one for creative and one for ecocriticism titles, and include a prize of $500. The awards will be presented at the Authors’ Reception on June 27.
Deadline to submit is January 7, 2019.
Read more about how to submit your book for consideration at our Book and Paper Awards Page
GRADUATE STUDENT PAPER AWARDS
ASLE will once again honor the best work of graduate students with two awards for presentations made at its 2019 conference. The awards will be presented at the Authors’ Reception on June 27.
• Two awardees will be chosen from the submissions of eligible work.
• Both scholarly papers in ecocriticism and environmental creative writing (any genre) by a graduate student presented at the conference are eligible for the awards.
• Those submitting papers must be presenting at the conference, be members of ASLE or an international affiliate, and should have been enrolled as a graduate student at some time within the previous seven months.
• Both awards include a prize of $100 and publication in ISLE: Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and Environment.
NOTE: The paper that is submitted for the awards must be essentially the same paper that is presented at the conference. Longer works abbreviated for “jam” sessions are eligible, but the complete work should be submitted for consideration. Submissions longer than 12 double-spaced pages (works cited excluded) will not be accepted.
Papers must be submitted as an email attachment in a standard format (doc, docx, or pdf) no later than May 13, 2019.
Send entries to Award Coordinator Nicholas Bradley at email@example.com
The host committee is offering local, regional and national businesses who might want to participate various sponsorship opportunities at the conference. If you or an organization you know would be interested in benefitting from a sponsorship opportunity, please contact Nicole Seymour and Kristin George Bagdanov, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for proposals was December 15, 2018
Please direct all conference program inquiries to ASLEconference2019@gmail.com
For UC Davis-related queries, please contact conference site host Mike Ziser at email@example.com
For ASLE membership inquiries, please contact Amy McIntyre, ASLE Managing Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org