The Oregon Convention Center (OCC) is an LEED Platinum Certified Facility and a pioneer in creating a space for green and sustainable meetings. Their commitments include energy reduction and solar power utilization, landfill waste minimization and recycling, watershed stewardship, air quality, supply chain carbon footprint reduction and community engagement. You can read more about why they make such a good partner for our organization here: https://www.oregoncc.org/en/about/sustainability
The space also has onsite restaurants, cafes and outdoor seating, with many other food choices right nearby. There are walking options and parks in the neighborhood. Public transportation stops right at the OCC to make exploring the city easy. We are reserving hotel blocks in adjacent facilities to minimize driving, and planning on securing dormitory space at nearby Portland State University, which is only a 20-minute MAX light rail ride away.
Portland is a culturally rich, vibrant and progressive city committed to sustainability and green initiatives. Nearby regions provide many opportunities for outdoor recreation, especially hiking. To learn more about Portland and attractions and activities in the city and region, see https://www.travelportland.com/. These links are also a helpful starting point:
Attendee Message Board for seeking Rideshares, Roommates, Childcare/Activities for Families: Please use THIS LINK to post/search under your topic at the padlet message board.
Room blocks have been arranged at several local facilities. Your stays at one of these places gives credits that help defray the meeting space rental cost through a Travel Portland partnership. We know you have many choices, and appreciate your considering these lodging sites.
Conference Hotel: Hyatt Regency Convention Center
Distance from OCC: adjacent
This full service hotel opened in 2020 and features a restaurant, bar, and market for quick snacks and coffee, plus gym facilities. Rates include a $5 rebate to the Portland Visitor Development Fund (VDF), which is helping offset the cost of the OCC conference venue.
Price: $199/night, Room block available July 7-13
Reservation Cutoff Date: June 16, 2023
Hyatt Reservation Link
Hostel/Hotel Hybrid: Lolo Pass
This hostel-hotel hybrid offers shared dorms and private rooms, shared kitchen and laundry room, and a fifth-story rooftop bar. Rates include a $5 rebate to the Portland Visitor Development Fund (VDF), which is helping offset the cost of the OCC conference venue.
Distance from Oregon Convention Center: 0.6 miles to the SE
Room Block: Any dates from July 5 to July 16 are eligible for the special rates.
Booking Deadline: None, but room types and block is “as available” so book early for best selection.
Dormitory Style Rooms (Pricing is per bed per night)
Guests who reserve multiple beds on the same reservation will be placed in the same room
Guests who reserve beds on separate reservations must contact Lolo Pass to request to room together: 503-908-3074.
Guests needing ADA accommodation, please contact Lolo Pass directly: 503-908-3074
4-bed Female/Male/All Gender: $44.00 Weekdays / $46.00 Fri or Sat
8-bed Female/Male/All Gender: $42.00 Weekdays / $44.00 Fri or Sat
Double Twin w/Ensuite Bath: $130.00 Weekdays / $145.00 Fri/Sat
Single Queen Ensuite Bath: $130.00 Weekdays / $145.00 Fri/Sat
To book as part of the ASLE/AESS block, visit www.lolopass.com and hit the ‘Book Now’ button. From the booking page, first enter dates of stay, and secondly enter the group code: b553144.
A basic budget hotel with free continental breakfast, parking on site (for a fee), and a pool. Rates include a $5 rebate to the Portland Visitor Development Fund (VDF), which is helping offset the cost of the OCC conference venue.
Distance from OCC: 2-3 blocks
Price: Price: 1 King Bed $125/night
2 Queen Beds $135/night,
Room block available: July 7-13
Reservation Cutoff Date: June 16, 2023
Dormitory Lodging: Portland State University
Distance from the Oregon Convention Center: 20 minutes door to door via MAX light rail
All are double twin rooms with private bath (if double occupancy, reservation still needs to be via a single payment). Rates include a $5 rebate to the Portland Visitor Development Fund (VDF), which is helping offset the cost of the OCC conference venue.
$65/night in Ondine Hall, $77/night in Broadway Hall
Booking cutoff date: Friday, June 23, 2023
Portland International Airport (PDX) is the closest airport to the OCC, located about 20 minutes away via car, or about 40-45 minutes via MAX light rail.
For transportation to your lodging, there are many options, including public transport, taxi, Uber or Lyft.
Airport Transportation Options
Portland has a great network of buses, MAX light rail, and streetcars. See schedules and routes at the TriMet Web site.
BIKETOWN is Portland’s bike share program with 1,500 bikes at over 180 stations across downtown and several neighborhoods. The system is designed for quick trips with convenience in mind, and it’s a fun and affordable way to get around.
The following links can help you to find out more about the area’s eating and entertainment options.
While ASLE and AESS are unable to provide on-site childcare, we acknowledge and support how difficult it can be to be a single-parent academic, parent of a young child or infant, or one of many other complex family situations that are part of our attendees lived experience.
We welcome the presence of children of any age on-site at the OCC and any conference venue under the care of their parents. The OCC has two Mamava nursing pods available for use by attendees as well. In addition, here are some links and options to assist parents in arranging care if they are in need of it during the conference. Please note: ASLE and AESS are not directly affiliated or contracted with any services, we are providing information only.
This multi-topic message board has a Childcare thread, and provides a forum for connecting with other attendees about nanny share or babysitting swap.
Jovie.com (formerly College Nannies and Sitters) can offer individual care on an as-needed basis for conference attendees. Families are responsible for paying the company directly.
• We can provide childcare for children aged three months to teens.
• We ask for a minimum of three hours per care session. In general, care shifts tend to cap at 8-10 hours per day.
• We can provide hotel-based childcare.
• Our caregivers are background-checked, first aid & CPR certified, and have a minimum of two years of childcare experience.
• Anyone from ASLE who signs up to use our services will have their one-time enrollment fee waived as a courtesy.
• The hourly rate starts at $31/hour (pay by ACH/checking) or $32/hour (pay by credit/debit). This rate increases by $2/hour if care is needed for a child between 0-6 months. It also increases by $2/hour if care is needed for 3+ children.
• We encourage conference attendees who are interested in using our services to sign up well in advance due to the strong surge in demand for childcare in the summer.
• To sign up, there are three options: (1) Visit our website and submit an event/specialty care request. Make sure to indicate in the inquiry that you’re with ASLE to have enrollment fee waived. (2) Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know that you’re with ASLE and seeking care. (3) Call us at (503) 985-9414 and let us know that you’re with ASLE and seeking care.
• Please have a good idea of your schedule, hotel location, number of children, and age of children prior to requesting care. Also, if there is important information that we should know – e.g. special needs, allergies, etc. – please make us aware. We can attempt to make adjustments as needed, but we can’t guarantee these adjustments, especially as we get closer to the start of the conference.