Update: Deadline for submissions extended to January 23, 2023
2023 ASLE Book Awards Call (PDF) (Note: deadlines are not updated in the document)
The Association for the Study of Literature and Environment (ASLE) will hold its eighth biennial book awards at its next biennial conference, to be held July 9-12, 2023 at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland, OR. Both awards include a prize of $500. The awards will be presented at the Authors’ Reception during the conference (exact date TBA).
The Book Awards will be presented in two categories:
- the best book-length work of scholarly ecocriticism
- the best book-length work of creative writing (any genre) with an environmental theme
- To help the ASLE Awards to return to its regular cycle after the pandemic, titles published in 2021 and 2022 will be considered. However, resubmission of books already considered for the 2022 Book Awards is not allowed.
- Works of narrative scholarship, or works that in other ways blend scholarly criticism with creative writing, can only be submitted in one category, and indicated with the submission.
- Edited collections in both the scholarly and creative categories are eligible for the awards.
- The committee on scholarly ecocriticism will consider only titles in that genre; books with a general environmental theme that do not meet that criteria will not be entered into the contest.
- Works must be in English.
- Self-published books, or writing that is not book length, will not be considered.
- Nominees must be current members of ASLE or an international affiliate as of January 23, 2023. If you are unsure of your member status, log in here, or contact email@example.com or your international affiliate secretary to verify.
- Works may be submitted by either the author or publisher. Authors are advised to coordinate with their publishers to avoid multiple, or missed, submissions.
- Deadline for receipt of all submissions is extended to January 23, 2023. This deadline is firm and NO EXCEPTIONS will be made for late entries.
- Three copies of the nominated book should be sent to the appropriate coordinator below. Electronic copies of the publication are encouraged if available.
- If a book submission makes the finalist round, we will require two more copies for judges.
- Submit book entries to the appropriate coordinator, at the physical or email addresses below:
Environmental Creative Writing Book Award Coordinator:
1408 Wakefield Rd.
Lynchburg, VA 24503
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scholarly Ecocriticism Book Award Coordinator:
Cal State Fullerton
800 N. State College Blvd.
Fullerton, CA 92831
Contact email: nseymour@Fullerton.edu