The ASLE Outreach Committee is soliciting proposals for projects that will help build connections between the environmental humanities and place-based environmental organizations working outside the academy. Projects will foreground the intersection between local efforts to address issues of environmental degradation and injustice and the role of representation and rhetoric. We are especially interested in projects enabling ASLE to connect with the environmental struggles of biennial conference localities. Funds may be used to cover the costs of public presentations or exhibitions (permanent or temporary), informational materials, literary and artistic productions, or interactive digital projects.
Accepted proposals will be funded up to a maximum of $5,000 each.
Materials (and any questions) should be submitted electronically to Amy McIntyre by June 15 2014 at email@example.com. Criteria for submission and required information include:
- Membership in ASLE or any international sister organization (ASLE-Japan, ASLE-UKI, etc.) for at least one person involved in the project.
- Names and descriptions of the organizations involved. Full contact information (email, mailing address, and phone numbers) for organizations and for at least one ASLE member.
- Description of the project and the issue it seeks to address. This description should include a history of the issue, the goals of the project, and an explanation of how the project meets those goals. It should not exceed 2 single-spaced pages.
- An explanation of how the project connects the environmental humanities with local environmental activism. The explanation should be no longer than a single-spaced page.
- An itemized budget.
- A schedule for the proposed project that includes a likely date of completion or a specific time frame for the process.
On completion of the project, a project report will be electronically submitted to the Managing Director of ASLE, Amy McIntyre, at firstname.lastname@example.org.